After months of anticipation, NBC’s Hairspray Live! premiered on Wednesday night. While the production proved to be the network’s most ambitious and flashy yet, it came with both highs and lows. From Jennifer Hudson’s scene-stealing vocals to Ariana Grande’s wardrobe troubles, here are the best and worst moments of the TV special:
- The stage production. It’s hard to recreate Baltimore on an NBC backlot, but the set seemed better constructed than it likely was.
- Kristin Chenoweth. Chenoweth as Velma Von Tussle, the producer of The Corny Collins Show and Amber’s overbearing stage mom, was perfection.
- Derek Hough’s dance move. The boy can dance-and sing-and was the perfect Corny Collins.
- Awesome cameos. Original Tracy Turnblad Ricki Lake and Marissa Jaret Winokur, who played Tracy in the Broadway show, made an appearance during “Welcome to the ’60s.”
- JENNIFER HUDSON. The Oscar-winner delivered the best vocals of the night on “Big, Blonde & Beautiful” and “I Know Where I’ve Been.”
- Dove Cameron and Kristin Chenoweth. The pair of actresses were unnervingly perfect as a mother and daughter. Dove also gave Ariana Grande a run for her money, vocally.
- Tracy’s parents. Martin Short and Harvey Fierstein, who portrayed Wilbur and Edna Turnblad, don’t have much chemistry.
- Grande’s finale wardrobe. While the “You Can’t Stop the Beat” number was perfectly chipper, Grande’s dress was too short to allow for half of the choreography and she continually had to pull the shimmery green material down.
- Garrett Clayton’s Link Larkin was less than impressive. In fact, more than one Twitter follower asked why Zac Efron, who played Link in the 2007 movie, couldn’t have reprised his role.
Did you watch the TV special last night? Let us know your favorite and least favorite parts!