Light up the fireplace, grab a mug of hot chocolate and check out the eight craziest facts about “All I Want for Christmas” you’ll want to whip out at the holiday office party:
1. Speedy Songwriter: According to the hit’s producer and co-songwriter Walter Afanasief, the entirety of “All I Want for Christmas” was written in just 15 minutes! When Carey recored the song in the summer of 1994, she reportedly pulled out all the stops and decked out the entire studio with holiday decorations and Christmas trees, because of course she did.
2. Gift That Keeps on Giving: Thanks to “All I Want for Christmas,” Mariah’s earned an estimated $50 million in royalties alone, not to mention it’s her biggest international track and the 11th best-selling single in music history.
3. Goats Love Mariah, Too: All goats want for Christmas is Mariah Carey, but can you even blame them?! Back in 2010, an English farmer discovered that when he played the holiday classic for his goats on a loop, they produced 20 percent more milk every day.
4. Rare Stamp of Approval: It’s not common for Carey to give up the rights to her music, but she made a special exception for that little ‘ol movie called Love Actually. According to Afanasief, the mother-of-two “had a particular fondness for the movie; she liked the script and she liked the actors.
5. Dethroned By an Indie Band: Mariah endured an admittedly small bump in 2015 when “All I Want for Christmas” was beat by The Shins and their cover of “Wonderful Christmastime” for the most-played seasonal.
6. No Instruments Needed: It’s hard to believe, but not a single musical instrument is featured on “All I Want for Christmas.” All those jingles and jangles were originally recorded by a live band, but were later scrapped and traded for a completely computer programmed sound.
7. Third Time’s a Charm: “All I Want for Christmas” is such a popular hit, there’s not one accompanying music video, but three! Aside from the first home-video inspired visual, Carey stars in a black and white, 1960s-esque iteration and then in 2011, she reprised her Yuletide spirit for a collaboration with Justin Bieber. All in all, they’ve raked in more than 315 million views.