Some people say it’s weird if members of the Show Me State say ‘Missour-a’ instead of ‘Missour-e.’ But it looks like we don’t have anything on how weird some US states are.
Buzzfeed has put together a list of strange U.S. state facts that will likely make the place you grew up seem boring in comparison. Here are 10 (for the full list, check out the link):
1. Clark, South Dakota, is home to the world-famous Mashed Potato Wrestling Contest.
2. Monowi, Nebraska, has only one resident, and she’s the mayor, librarian, and bartender.
3. Goatees are illegal in Massachusetts–unless you first pay a special license fee.
4. There’s an amusement park in Pennsylvania themed entirely around spaghetti sauce.
5. There are only two escalators in the entire state of Wyoming.
6. In Michigan, you can obtain a unicorn hunting license from Lake Superior State University.
7. The town of Talkeetna, Alaska, has had a cat named Stubbs as mayor for 15 years.
8. One town in Colorado celebrates a frozen dead guy for a few days every year with a festival literally called Frozen Dead Guy Days.
9. In Carmel, California, high heels over 2 inches are strictly prohibited without a permit.
10. There is a shop in Alabama where you can purchase unclaimed baggage from airports around the world.