Unfortunately for the Material Girl, she didn’t break a good record. Forbes reports that Madonna’s new album, MDNA, has achieved the biggest second week drop of all time, with expectations that it will plummet 88% in sales from the first week when official numbers are released on Wednesday.
In terms of hard numbers, that means Madonna expected to go from her #1 position with 359,000 albums sold in the first week to selling around 46,000 in the second week. Forbes attributes Madonna’s first week success to the bundling of her CD with concert tickets. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that 185,000 of Madonna’s first week sales came from that deal. If those packages had not been counted as CD sales, Lionel Richie would have been Madonna out for the #1 slot last week.
Lady Gaga faced a similar second week drop-off for her album Born This Way in 2011, which was priced for $1.99 on Amazon during the first week of sales. In her second week, sales dipped 84%, from 1.1 million copies to 174,000.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Latest from fresh1025.com
- The Five Best Memorial Day Weekend Sales
- 20,000 Bees Swarm Car
- Trish’s Trash: Curly Sue Actress Wins the Voice
- Anne Hathaway, James Corden Face off in Rap Battle
- WATCH: 1960’s ‘Travelogue’ Film-St. Louis-Gateway To The West
- Bruce Springsteen Gives Coat to Underdressed Adele
- Hillary Clinton Tells Taylor Swift Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is ‘Great’
- Fixer Upper Hosts Call Success “a Dream Come True’
- DWTS: Nyle DiMarco Wins the Mirror Ball, Breaks Down in Tears
- Amy Schumer Takes On Body Shamers Again…and Wins