Unfortunately for the Material Girl, she didn’t break a good record. Forbes reports that Madonna’s new album, MDNA, has achieved the biggest second week drop of all time, with expectations that it will plummet 88% in sales from the first week when official numbers are released on Wednesday.
In terms of hard numbers, that means Madonna expected to go from her #1 position with 359,000 albums sold in the first week to selling around 46,000 in the second week. Forbes attributes Madonna’s first week success to the bundling of her CD with concert tickets. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that 185,000 of Madonna’s first week sales came from that deal. If those packages had not been counted as CD sales, Lionel Richie would have been Madonna out for the #1 slot last week.
Lady Gaga faced a similar second week drop-off for her album Born This Way in 2011, which was priced for $1.99 on Amazon during the first week of sales. In her second week, sales dipped 84%, from 1.1 million copies to 174,000.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Latest from fresh1025.com
- Bryan Adams on ‘Get Up!,’ Country Music and Amy Winehouse
- Beyoncé to Launch New Clothing Line with Top Shop Owner Philip Green
- Watch Charli XCX’s New Documentary ‘The F Word and Me’
- 8 Movie & TV Marathons to Watch This Thanksgiving Weekend
- *NSYNC Congratulate Adele on Breaking Their Sales Record
- Trish’s Trash: New Movies This Week
- 102.5 KEZK’s Christmas Lights Photo Contest
- 9 Ways to Pace Yourself This Thanksgiving
- ‘All My Children’ Star David Canary Has Passed Away
- VIDEO: What It Takes To Burn Off Your Thanksgiving Dinner