TriStar Pictures released the full trailer for Sparkle this week, which co-stars the late Whitney Houston in her final movie role that was to mark her return to the silver screen.
Co-starring former American Idol Jordin Sparks the trailer gives a first look at the movie about sisters following in the musical footsteps of their mother, played by Houston, to create the next big all-girl group of the ’60s.
While Cee-Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Jordin Sparks fill out the cast, Houston’s image looms large in the trailer. Reprising the role of Emma, a struggling mother of three daughters, she offers advice from a woman who has seen it all before.
“Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you,” she said. “It takes a lot of faith to do this, Sparkle.”
Given Houston’s untimely death and reported struggles with substance abuse, her words as Emma give the trailer an extra weight. At 48, Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub in February, six months before the film’s August release date. Her death has since been attributed to drugs, including cocaine.
Sparkle is due out on Aug. 17th. See full trailer below.
–Erik Parker, CBS Local w/Britt Bickel, The Wave/Los Angeles
Latest from fresh1025.com
- Fixer Upper’s Chip Gaines Is Writing a Memoir
- High School Student’s Service Dog Included in Yearbook
- Florida Has The Best Beach in America
- Exclusive: Selena Gomez Denies Collaborating with The Weeknd on New Music
- The Five Best Memorial Day Weekend Sales
- Ariana Grande Posts Heartfelt Letter to Bombing Victims, Plans Benefit Concert
- Trish’s Trash: Rockwell Arrested For Sandwich Fight with Maid
- Ways You’re Grilling Burgers Wrong
- Trish’s Dishes: Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips
- Actor Playing Michael Jackson in New Movie Responds to Criticism