TriStar Pictures released the full trailer for Sparkle this week, which co-stars the late Whitney Houston in her final movie role that was to mark her return to the silver screen.
Co-starring former American Idol Jordin Sparks the trailer gives a first look at the movie about sisters following in the musical footsteps of their mother, played by Houston, to create the next big all-girl group of the ’60s.
While Cee-Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Jordin Sparks fill out the cast, Houston’s image looms large in the trailer. Reprising the role of Emma, a struggling mother of three daughters, she offers advice from a woman who has seen it all before.
“Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you,” she said. “It takes a lot of faith to do this, Sparkle.”
Given Houston’s untimely death and reported struggles with substance abuse, her words as Emma give the trailer an extra weight. At 48, Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub in February, six months before the film’s August release date. Her death has since been attributed to drugs, including cocaine.
Sparkle is due out on Aug. 17th. See full trailer below.
–Erik Parker, CBS Local w/Britt Bickel, The Wave/Los Angeles
Latest from fresh1025.com
- Greatest TV Couples of All Time
- Super Simple Things You Can Do to Make Your Day Better
- The Weeknd Murders His Former Self in ‘Starboy’ Music Video
- List of 10 Most Dangerous Online Celebs
- Man Proposes on Jumbotron at Baseball Game…Loses Ring in the Process
- Eminem, Diplo, Florida Georgia Line Team Up for NFL Team T-shirt Line
- Cardinals Player Hits Grand Slam to Honor Death of His Friend
- Sia Shares ‘The Greatest’ Video in Praise of Hillary Clinton’s ‘Stamina’
- Justin Timberlake Shares Trailer for Netflix Concert Film
- Ed Sheeran Purchases Pig Statue of Himself