TriStar Pictures released the full trailer for Sparkle this week, which co-stars the late Whitney Houston in her final movie role that was to mark her return to the silver screen.
Co-starring former American Idol Jordin Sparks the trailer gives a first look at the movie about sisters following in the musical footsteps of their mother, played by Houston, to create the next big all-girl group of the ’60s.
While Cee-Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Jordin Sparks fill out the cast, Houston’s image looms large in the trailer. Reprising the role of Emma, a struggling mother of three daughters, she offers advice from a woman who has seen it all before.
“Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you,” she said. “It takes a lot of faith to do this, Sparkle.”
Given Houston’s untimely death and reported struggles with substance abuse, her words as Emma give the trailer an extra weight. At 48, Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub in February, six months before the film’s August release date. Her death has since been attributed to drugs, including cocaine.
Sparkle is due out on Aug. 17th. See full trailer below.
–Erik Parker, CBS Local w/Britt Bickel, The Wave/Los Angeles
Latest from fresh1025.com
- St. Louis Blues Blood Drive
- THIS IS US Renewed by NBC for 2 More Seasons
- VIRAL VIDEO: Dogs Wonder Why Home Burglars Don’t Want To Play
- The Best Time to Order Roses for Valentine’s Day
- WATCH: Johnny Depp’s Emotional People’s Choice Award Speech
- Janelle Monáe, Maxwell, More to Perform at Women’s March on Washington
- ‘Barefoot Contessa’ Visits St. Louis’ Crown Candy Kitchen
- Beyoncé Supports Women’s March on Washington
- Questlove will Pay Chrisette Michele Not to Perform at Trump Inauguration
- Will & Grace Officially Returning to NBC!