Kelly Clarkson To Mentor On New Music Competition Talent Show
No stranger to television talent shows, Kelly Clarkson will soon share her experiences as a mentor.
This summer, ABC will launch a new music competition. Called Duets, the American Idol winner will scour the country in search of undiscovered talent to mentor. Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles, Lionel Richie and Robin Thicke will also take part in the project.
While the show competes with American Idol and The Voice, Duets will put a spin on the talent competition as each mentor will choose two singers to be their duet partners for weekly performances.
The winner of Duets will get a recording contract with Hollywood Records.
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Clarkson discusses her role as a mentor this season on The Voice.
“People have given me such a hard time,” she admits. “I came from a singing show, so I like singing shows, obviously. What was the big shocker there? I don’t know why people get all bent out of shape.”
A graduate of Season 1 of American Idol, she also discussed her Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye covers on the show and how she first got into soul music.
“That’s what I always gravitated to, for some reason even as a child. My stepdad would wake me up at frickin’ 6 a.m. playing Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, and my mom was into Three Dog Night and Linda Ronstadt,” she said. “But I love Aretha and Otis and Bonnie Raitt — the heartfelt stuff. I hear so many singers that sound like vanilla vodka, like they’ve never had their hearts broken or ripped out. It kills me.”
Latest from fresh1025.com
- Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness In St. Louis
- Trish’s Trash: Gaga on TV tonight, Matt Damon & Kim K, Biebs new tattoo
- WATCH: ABC Family Will Change Name To Draw More Young Viewers
- VIDEO: Jay Leno Makes A Surprise Appearance On ‘The Tonight Show’
- VIDEO: The Best Of The Cardinals Playoff ‘Tribute’ Songs Over The Years
- Rocky Horror Show Casts Reunites For 40th Anniversary!
- Paul McCartney Releases Alternate Video for Michael Jackson Duet ‘Say, Say, Say’
- Instagram Turns 5, Who Makes The Top 10?
- 9 Life Lessons Only Your Mom Can Teach You
- ATM Fees Now Average an All-Time High of $4.50