Some heart attacks are sudden and intense, but most of them start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Often the people affected aren’t sure what’s wrong and wait too long before getting help. Here are some of the signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:
- Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck,jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath. This feeling may occur with or without chest discomfort.
Other signs: These may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness
As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms PARTICULARLY SHORTNESS OF BREATH, NAUSEA/VOMITING, AND BACK OR JAW PAIN.
If you or someone you are with has chest discomfort, especially with one or more of the other signs, don’t wait longer than five minutes before calling for help. Call 9-1-1.
Calling 9-1-1 is almost always the fastest way to get lifesaving treatment. Emergency medical services (EMS) staff can begin treatment when they arrive — up to an hour sooner than if someone gets to the hospital by car. The staff members are also trained to revive someone whose heart has stopped. And you will get treated faster in the hospital if you arrive by ambulance.
If you’re the one having symptoms, and you can’t access emergency medical services (EMS), have someone drive you to the hospital right away. Don’t drive yourself, unless you have absolutely no other option.
Visit www.GoRedForWomen.org for more information about heart disease in women.
Latest from fresh1025.com
- Coldplay Monkey Around in Video for ‘Adventure of a Lifetime’
- Listen To Win: Christmas Holiday Pack Giveaway
- Cyber Monday Music Deals—From Taylor Swift to Queen, Save on CDs
- 10 Christmas Gift Ideas For College Students
- Pet Of The Week: Todd
- Drake on Adele’s ‘Hotline Bling’ Remix Offer: “I’ll Do Anything with Adele”
- Erykah Badu Shades Iggy Azalea at Soul Train Music Awards: “What You’re Doing Is Definitely Not Rap”
- Trish’s Trash: Jimmy Fallon’s Thanksgiving Medley (ICYMI)
- 5 Artists Who ‘Retired’ and Continued Releasing Albums
- Coldplay’s Chris Martin Reveals His Fasting Routine and Sampling President Obama