Recessionista Recipes: 5 Cheap & Tasty Memorial Day Salads
Chickpea Salad with Lemon, Parmesan, and Fresh Herbs
Goes well with: chicken and beef kabob, grilled eggplant, pita, Mediterranean-themed fare
Perfect for protein-craving vegans!
Yield: Makes 2 servings
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 15-to 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse kosher salt
Combine rinsed and drained chickpeas, chopped fresh basil, chopped Italian parsley, fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and pressed garlic clove in medium bowl. Add grated Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly. Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. DO AHEAD: Chickpea salad can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Serve salad chilled or at room temperature.