Lady Antebellum…’Need You Now’ – a ripoff?

[lastfm link_type=””]Lady Antebellum’s[/lastfm] ‘Need You Now’ is a smash hit on not only Country radio stations, but it crossed over to several formats while reaching it’s way to the top.  A weekly music news source Nashville Scene reported last week that someone who claims to be the assistant to [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Alan Parsons[/lastfm] was quoted saying “Our fans are reaching out to us by the hundreds telling us how ‘Need You Now’ by Lady Antebellum is one of those ‘lazy rip offs’ of ‘Eye In The Sky’ by The Alan Parsons Project.”  So, with the utmost in journalistic integrity…ok, that’s a stretch…I bring you:    THE EVIDENCE        Click “More” for the video that mashes The Alan Parsons Project’s ‘Eye In The Sky’ with [lastfm link_type=””]Lady Antebellum’s [/lastfm]’Need You Now’…then leave your comment and let us know what you think…did [lastfm link_type=””]Lady Antebellum [/lastfm]rip off [lastfm link_type=””]The Alan Parsons Project[/lastfm]?

Comments

1. kezkeric says:

I think the harmonies are similar, but I don’t think it’s a copy of APP…

1. believe says:

I think the harmony is kind of close, but I don’t think it’s a ripoff. Love both songs, but do you really think someone who was already one of the top country bands would want to steal a harmony to a song just to get to the top of country and then be put in jail and lose a lot of their fans!!!! NO I don’t think so.

1. kezked says:

Thanks Steve…they encourage us to not lead people away from our site…that’s why I didn’t put it up…

2. Grace Mueller says:

The Alan Parsons Project needs to get a grip. Talk about grasping at straws. LA did not rip-off Parsons. If the phrasing in songs was an issue, then every rapper in the free world would be in court.

3. kyj says:

harmony, words are the same…it’s a ripoff!

4. Mary says:

I doesn’t matter, people remake songs all the time and I love the song by Lady Antebellum. I like the song by The Alan Parsons Project too, but get totally two different feelings from both songs.

5. nancy says:

No, i don’t think so…. someone just wants to grip about something.

6. KR says:

Do people not remember vanilla ice and queen? As long as it has a little difference all is fair.

7. Carla says:

Wow, when put side by side like that, it sure sounds like a rip-off! I’d be saying something about it too if I was the Alan Parson’s Project.